How Knock Sensors Affect Timing Advance (Nerd Warning)

A Little Background

Regular followers of my YouTube channel know that I recently diagnosed and repaired a faulty knock sensor on my Porsche 986... The knock sensors retard (slow down) timing for low octane fuel. This prevents knocking from occurring in the Boxster's high compression (11:1) engine. I assumed the engine would default to a retarded timing setting if it knew one knock sensor was bad. With this in mind, I logged data from my car with a faulty knock sensor, then collected more data once the knock sensor worked. Since this was all done on the street, the two runs are not identical, but they show a clear advance in timing with a working knock sensor.

The Nerdy Charts

A little messy, because 4 charts are stacked, but the green arrow indicates the advanced timing with the working knock sensor.



Ignition Timing with the good sensor (measured in milliseconds) 
Ignition Timing with the bad knock sensor (measured in milliseconds)
For those of you who have access to Photoshop, I have these and many other graphs loaded as layers in this PSD. The file must be downloaded and opened in Photoshop to view all the layers of nerdy charts. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please everyone should be careful and stop being deceived by all these brokers and account managers, they scammed me over $500,000 of my investment capital, they kept on requesting for extra funds before a withdrawal request can be accepted and processed, in the end, I lost all my money. All efforts to reach out to their customer support desk had declined, I found it very hard to move on. God so kind I followed a broadcast that teaches on how scammed victims can recover their fund, I contacted the Email: (contact@wizardcharlesgrouphackers.com) provided for consultation, I got feedback after some hours and I was asked to provide all legal details concerning my investment, I did exactly what they instructed me to do without delay, to my greatest surprise I was able to recover my money back including my profit which my capital generated. I said I will not hold this to myself but share it to the public so that all scammed victims can get their funds back chat Them on WhatsApp (+1 (519) 398-1460)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After falling victim to a cryptocurrency investment scam, my family and I were left with nothing after these swindlers stole $118,000 total in USDT and Bitcoins from us. We were so lucky to come across a post about Hi.Tech [ hi.techrecovery01@protonmail.com ] a cryptocurrency and funds recovery company with plenty of experience in cybersecurity. Hi-Tech Recovery was able to recover all of our funds, and with the information we provided, they were tracked down and reported to the appropriate authorities. I highly recommend Hi.Tech for your cryptocurrency recovery

    Contact: hi.techrecovery01@protonmail.com
    Telegram: @hitechrecovery

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was greatly relieved that Saclux Comptech Specialst provided me with the support I desperately needed after the terrible experience of losing my money to a deceptive online Bitcoin fraud. Saclux Comptech Specialst  They gave me technical support resulting in a large portion of my money being returned directly into my bank account. I would recommend that anyone report your case to sacluxcomptechspecialst@engineer.com  if you want to stand any chance of getting your money recovered. Viber: +44 7782 645302 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment